Time is a precious thing. A scarce commodity that most of us all wish we had more of.
So how are you making the most of your time, day in and day out? The answer should be planning. While the idea of planning may not invoke excitement at first, it is a habit or “muscle” that should be worked out consistently on a daily basis to really reap the biggest rewards. In this case it will result in improved efficiency, productivity and fulfillment in a day well spent.
All it takes is 20 or 30 minutes (sometimes less)… that’s it, I promise! Truth be told, the sooner this becomes a daily habit, the more efficient you’ll become, requiring less time invested. I suggest planning the night before, so you wake up knowing exactly how your day will best be spent from the time you wake-up, to when your head hits the pillow.
A morning planning session is your chance to:
- Set the daily agenda and map out your time/opportunities
- Prioritize tasks for the day
- Keep track of progress for goals you’ve set
- Start your day off right by being focused, organized and intentional
Where Do I Begin?
If the idea of planning out each and every day seems daunting to you, don’t worry, you’re not alone. To start, set aside this time and keep it uninterrupted. This means no phone calls, email or social media.
Keep things simple, don’t overthink your planning:
- Pull out a piece of paper (or my Daily GPS Planner) and write down three or four intentions for the day. Before doing anything else you MUST accomplish those tasks.
- If you aren’t able to complete everything on your planner, DO NOT see it as a failure, instead focus on celebrating what you did create and/or accomplish. You simply didn’t finish and are aware of what’s first on tap for the next day’s business.
- Schedule your most demanding activities when your mental energy and focus are at it’s best; for most this will be first thing in the morning.
- At the end of the day, reflect on how your day went, then prioritize your next day accordingly
Now for a little bit of homework, and trust that you WILL be thanking me for it later on!
Every day for the next week I want you to have a planning session. Each night (or 1st thing in the morning if you prefer) set your daily intentions, prioritize your activity and visualize how your day will unfold. The idea is to create a new habit that will encourage you to serve more, earn more and enjoy more!
Guess what? Time management gets even easier for you with my Daily GPS Planner. This customized tool will help start your day off strong with a set purpose and intentions. Sign up to receive this, and other tips along the way, and you’ll be on the path to a more organized ( less stressful) life!
To Your Continued and Ever-Growing Success,